2015 STEM Summer Scholars Institute application
To be considered for the 2015 Summer Scholars Institute, all of the following items must be submitted to the Indiana University Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs by February 16, 2015:
- An unofficial transcript from the college you are currently attending (an official transcript will be required once a participation offer has been accepted)
- Two letters of recommendation (i.e., faculty member or employer who can evaluate your potential for graduate school, taking into consideration your accomplishments, intellectual prowess, independent work habits, capacity for critical and analytical thinking, and ability to organize and express ideas clearly).
- Personal statement (2 pages maximum) which includes the following:
- Why do I want to participate in the Summer Scholars Institute; that is, what do I hope to gain from this summer research experience?
- What are my short- and long-term career goals?
- What are my academic (Masters, Doctorate, or another graduate or professional degree) goals?
- List personal qualities, research and/or technical skills that may enhance your research experience.
- A completed Summer Scholars Institute application form. (Download application instructions and application form.) Please note that the application form requires each applicant to identify three faculty mentors, in priority order, for whom they would like to work during the summer. The list of faculty mentors available for the 2015 Institute can be found by clicking this link: STEM Summer Scholars Institute Faculty Bio. The application also includes space to provide rationale for why that faculty member should consider you as a mentee for the institute. This brief rationale will focus on the specific faculty mentor and his/her research areas and should enhance the personal statement listed above.
How do I submit my application?
(Please be sure to print or type all information requested.)
All materials MUST be submitted electronically (preferably as a PDF file) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date. An email confirmation will always be sent upon receipt of materials.