2016 STEM Summer Scholars Institute application
To be considered for the 2016 Summer Scholars Institute, all of the following items must be submitted to the Indiana University Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs by February 15, 2016:
- A completed Summer Scholars Institute application.
Please note that the application form requires each applicant to identify three faculty mentors, in priority order, for whom they would like to work during the summer. The list of faculty mentors available for the 2016 institute can be found by clicking this link: STEM Summer Scholars Institute Faculty Bio. The application also includes space to provide rationale for why that faculty member should consider you as a mentee for the institute. This brief rationale will focus on the specific faculty mentor and his/her research areas and should enhance the personal statement listed above.
- An unofficial transcript from the college you are currently attending (an official transcript will be required once a participation offer has been accepted).
- Personal statement (2 pages maximum) which includes the following:
- Why do I want to participate in the Summer Scholars Institute; that is, what do I hope to gain from this summer research experience?
- What are my short- and long-term career goals?
- What are my academic (master's, doctorate, or another graduate or professional degree) goals?
- List personal qualities, research, and/or technical skills that may enhance your research experience.
- Two letters of recommendation (i.e., faculty member or employer who can evaluate your potential for graduate school, taking into consideration your accomplishments, intellectual prowess, independent work habits, capacity for critical and analytical thinking, and ability to organize and express ideas clearly). These letters should be sent via email (preferably as a PDF file) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date.