2013 STEM Summer Scholars Institute application
To be considered for the 2013 Summer Scholars Institute, all of the following items must be submitted to the Indiana University Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs by February 25, 2013:
- An unofficial transcript from the college you are currently attending (an official transcript will be required once a participation offer has been accepted)
- Two letters of recommendation (i.e., faculty member or employer who can evaluate your potential for graduate school, taking into consideration your accomplishments, intellectual prowess, independent work habits, capacity for critical and analytical thinking, and ability to organize and express ideas clearly).
- Personal Statement (2 pages maximum) which includes the following:
- Why do I want to participate in the Summer Scholars Institute; that is, what do I hope to gain from this summer research experience?
- What are my short- and long-term career goals?
- What are my academic (Masters, Doctorate, or another graduate or professional degree) goals?
- List personal qualities, research and/or technical skills that may enhance your research experience.
- A completed Summer Scholars Institute application form. Please note that the application form requires each applicant to identify five faculty mentors, in priority order, for whom they would like to work during the summer. The list of faculty mentors available for the 2013 Institute can be found by clicking this link: STEM Summer Scholars Institute Faculty Bio. The application also includes space to provide rationale for why that faculty member should consider you as a mentee for the institute. This brief rationale will focus on the specific faculty mentor and his/her research areas and should enhance the personal statement listed above.
How do I submit my application?
(Please be sure to print or type all information requested.)
Applications may be submitted electronically as a PDF file attached to an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If using this route of delivery, please be sure to include Summer Scholars in the subject line of the e-mail.
All materials may be faxed to the following number: 812-856-5119
US mail or courier service:
The complete application package may be sent to:
Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs
Bryan Hall 115
107 South Indiana Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7000