Summer Scholars Institute, May 30-July 25, 2014
The Summer Scholars Institute, an eight-week program held at the IU Bloomington
and IUPUI campuses, enrolls select HBCU and IU students from our partner institutions. These STEM Scholars engage in continuous, substantive research at the Summer Scholars Institute and their universities.
- Eighty-five percent of scholars' academic time during the institute is spent in research projects with HBCU and IU faculty.
- Other activities include:
- Colloquia with STEM Initiative faculty, professionals, and other academics
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation Summer Research Opportunities Program
- Technical writing training
- GRE preparation
- Social activities
- Summer Scholars live in IU dorms.
- Summer Scholars receive a $4,000 stipend, plus room and board.
2014 STEM Summer Scholars Institute application
The dates for the 2014 STEM Summer Scholars Institute are May 30th through July 25th.
To be considered for the 2014 Summer Scholars Institute, a completed application and supporting documents must be submitted to the Indiana University Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs by February 17, 2014. Early applicants will receive priority consideration.
Summer Scholars should plan to arrive before 5:00 pm on Friday, May 30, 2014, and can depart after the Closing Luncheon scheduled from 10:30 am–1:30 pm on July 25, 2014.
View application & supporting document information
Previous STEM Summer Scholars Institutes
Read about past STEM SSI highlights and participants.
For Information about the Summer Scholars Institute, contact:
Dr. Jack L. Schmit
Assistant Dean, University Graduate School
Coordinator, IU-HBCU STEM Initiative
Dr. Sherry Queener
Director of the Graduate Office, IUPUI
Associate Dean, Indiana University Graduate School